General Election 2024 – Access to Democracy for Disabled People

As we are sure you are aware, there will be a UK general election at some point in the next 12 months, to elect your local Member of Parliament, in the UK Parliament. We wanted to let you know that there are some new rules in place when going to vote at this election. As always, all voters must appear on the electoral register to vote and everyone who is a voter needs to be 18 years, or older, on the day of the election. This has not changed. However, the rules when you actually go to the polling station have changed. The rules now say that before you get issued with your ballot paper, every voter will have to show photographic identification (photo ID.) You might have heard of this rule change being called “voter identification” or “voter ID.”

Why were these new voter identification rules introduced?

The new voter identification rules were introduced by the UK Parliament to prevent the electoral crime of ‘personation.’ This is the technical term where someone votes pretending to be someone else. This is usually associated with polling stations but can also apply to postal voting or proxy voting.

What forms of identification can you use?

There are a variety of forms of identification that will be accepted at polling stations. Voters can use:

  • Passports;
  • Full and provisional driving licences;
  • Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) cards;
  • Blue badges;
  • A Scottish National Entitlement Card issued for concessionary travel purposes, including older persons and disabled persons bus pass;
  • An MOD Defence Identity Card (Form 90) and;
  • A biometric immigration document issued in accordance with regulations under section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007.

The full list is available on the Electoral Commission website: Accepted forms of photo ID: Voter ID | Electoral Commission.  The photo ID you use must be the original and cannot be a photocopy and you only need to show one form of ID.

But I do not have an acceptable form of identification?

That is OK – do not worry! People without an existing acceptable form of voter identification can apply online, or by post, for a free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC). The VAC will display the name and a passport style photo of a voter. You can apply for a VAC here: Apply for photo ID to vote (called a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’) – GOV.UK ( or by contacting your local electoral registration office. You can find their details here:

Forms of identification that have expired.

An approved identification document does not have to be in date to be accepted. Expired identification will still be accepted, as long as it looks like you and the name on the document is the same as the one you used when you registered to vote.

I am not sure if I am registered to vote, or I have moved house recently.

You usually only need to register once to vote as this covers you for all elections. However, if you have moved house recently you should register again so that you are able to vote. If you have changed your name for any reason, you should make sure your name matches that on the electoral register.

For more information on registering to vote: Register to vote | Electoral Commission