About Disability Equality Scotland
We are a national organisation working to achieve full access and inclusion for every disabled person in Scotland.
We want disabled people to live as independently as they can.
We want disabled people to have the same opportunities as everyone else.
We want disabled people to live a life of dignity and respect.
We work on behalf of everyone who has any type of impairment. We also work with disability organisations and groups who share our beliefs.
We are the umbrella organisation for all disability Access Panels in Scotland, providing them with support and guidance to improve the lives of disabled people at a local level throughout Scotland.
We are membership led. If you are an individual or an organisation, you can join our membership for FREE and help to further our aims. On this website you can find out more about what we do, how we do it, and how you can get involved.
A better life for disabled people.
Our mission has always been to increase awareness and knowledge of Access and Inclusion to improve the lives of disabled people in Scotland. Our Strategic Plan introduces a stronger statement, which defines the purposes of our organisation and our intended contributions to improving the lives of disabled people.
Our mission statement is:
“Achieving full Access and Inclusion for disabled people in Scotland.”
‘Achieving’ means ensuring that disabled people have the right combination of support and opportunity to reach their potential. ‘Full Access and Inclusion’ means the opportunity for every disabled person to actively participate with their family, friends, co-workers and other valued relationships in creating a fulfilling life.
We are a member-led organisation, representing individuals with any type of impairment, disability organisations and groups who share our values. We listen to the views of disabled people and champion on their behalf.
Our principles help guide us in what we want to achieve. Our work is focused on our three principles:
Positive Approach. We are a solutions focused organisation. We want to hear what is working well and what is not working to approach the issues in a positive way.
Promoting Equality. We are a proactive and media aware organisation. We look to promote good/best practice and achieve a greater awareness of disability equality and accessibility across Scotland.
Partnership-focused. We are a collaborative organisation. We work with partners across all sectors to achieve real measurable change across Scotland with regard to access and equality
Articles of Association
We have launched our Strategic Plan, which not only describes our organisation’s vision, mission and principles, but also details our key strategic aims between now and 2020.
These are the following:
- To communicate, promote and campaign the importance of social inclusion, ensuring the opinions of disabled people are taken into account from the first point of planning.
- To increase awareness, knowledge and understanding of access and inclusion across Scotland.
- To develop a creative and adaptive organisation.
You can find a link to the Strategic Plan below, alternative formats are available:
- Strategic Plan 2017-2020 – Word
- Strategic Plan 2017-2020 – PDF
- Strategic Plan 2017-2020- Plain Text
- Strategic Plan 2017-2020 – Audio
A Summary of the Strategic Plan is also available:
Annual Report and Accounts 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019
Our Annual Report and Accounts details some of the activities undertaken in the year to March 2018.
- Signed Disability Equality Scotland Annual Report and Full Accounts 2018-2019
- Disability Equality Scotland Annual Report and Presentation Accounts 2018 – 2019
Annual General Meeting Minutes
- AGM 2019 Minute DRAFT Final – PDF
- AGM 2018 Minute Final – PDF
- AGM 2018 Minute Final (Easy Read) – PDF
Extraordinary General Meeting Minutes
Board of Trustees’ Meeting Minutes
- 29 January 2020 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 29 January 2020 Minute Final and Approved (Easy Read) – PDF
- 29 October 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 29 October 2019 Minute Final and Approved (Easy Read) – PDF
- 30 July 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 30 April 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 30 April 2019 Minute Final and Approved (Easy Read) – PDF
- 23 January 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 18 January 2018 Minute Final and Approved 18 April 2018 – PDF
- 18 April 2018 Board Minute Final and Approved 18 July 2018 – PDF
- 18 July 2018 Board Minute Final and Approved 17 October 2018 – PDF