Easy Read Training
Easy Read is an accessible format that makes written information easier to understand because it uses simple, jargon-free language, shorter sentences and supporting images.
Disability Equality Scotland is one of the leading Disabled People’s Organisations in Scotland. It offers a balanced perspective of having an established and successful Easy Read conversion service and managing a network of access panels across the country.
New dates are now available for our Easy Read training course!
Available open courses:
2 x half-day sessions
Thurs 22nd Sept 2022
Time: 1pm – 5pm
Cost: £125 per person
The aims and objectives of the Easy Read training course are:
- To give you the skills and knowledge to produce basic Easy Read documents
- To develop your confidence in producing accessible documents.
Easy Read Training is delivered online through five 90-minute modules. The modules are communicative and interactive with lots of exercises for you to engage with and learn from. You will be expected to collaborate with others and contribute to groups. The practical exercises build up from simple everyday examples to complex, abstract concepts. You are introduced to the skills to format and create an Easy Read version of a document. You have an opportunity to receive feedback and create your own checking processes. This ensures that every participant has an opportunity to personally develop your own practical skills and confidence to apply Easy Read knowledge to your work.
Who is this course for?
This is not a course aimed at Easy Read users. This course is suitable for organisations and individuals:
- who would like to make their communication more inclusive and accessible,
- who are involved in producing information,
- who design and create any kind of document and,
- who work in public or in-house communications.
What does the course cover?
The course is designed to allow you the opportunity to challenge existing knowledge, to explore practical examples, to experience converting abstract document content and to reflect upon and evaluate the process. Modules consist of:
- What accessible information is and why we need it
- How to write easy-to-understand sentences
- How to use and source pictures for Easy Read documents
- How to create Easy Read from blank page to published document
- How to edit documents and develop your own document checking processes.
How much does the course cost?
Online training costs £125 per person per 7.5 hour course.
Want to find out more?
To book a place on a course or chat about options for your organisation, email our Easy Read Trainer Lucy Gibbons email@example.com or call us on 0141 370 0968.
What are people saying about our course?
- 100% of the participants said their Easy Read knowledge had increased
- 100% of participants felt their Easy Read skills had developed.
- 100% of participants would recommend this training to a friend or colleague
- Almost all of participants were more confident creating Easy Read
- Participants gave the session an average rating of more than 4.5 stars!
Feedback from participants:
“It’s been fantastic training, very informative and incredibly engaging.”
“This was not training where you sit back passively but where you learn through trying things out and getting things wrong.”
“It’s hard to make Zoom sessions engaging and that was one of the strengths.”
“The interactive elements of the sessions was just great. The Material was great too.”
“All the exercises were really fun and cleverly thought out.”
“Completely exceeded my expectations and the equality of trainings most organisations do.”
“I thought the activities were good fun and quite challenging, so I really did feel I was learning.”
Organisations who have taken our Easy Read training course