About Disability Equality Scotland
- We are a national charity working to make life more accessible, equal and inclusive for disabled people in Scotland.
- We promote access in its widest sense, including access to the built and natural environment and access to the same opportunities as are enjoyed by others in our communities thus promoting a life of dignity, respect, choice and independence. This extends beyond physical access to include access to information, access to inclusive communication and inclusion in decision-making, whether with planners over inclusive design or transport providers about accessible travel.
- We represent the views of individuals with any type of impairment, as well as disability organisations and groups who share Disability Equality Scotland’s values.
- We are the umbrella organisation for all disability Access Panels in Scotland, providing them with support and guidance to improve the lives of disabled people at a local level throughout Scotland.
- We are membership led. If you are an individual or an organisation, you can join our membership for FREE and help to further our aims. We work to influence the policies of the Scottish Government, which affect how disabled people live and we work to encourage others to be inclusive and informed in their attitudes towards disabled people.
Working towards Equality, Inclusion and Participation for Disabled People in Scotland
Our mission at Disability Equality Scotland is to give all disabled people in Scotland a voice with trust, care and empathy. We will use what we hear to advocate for and enable change to improve lives.
We will achieve this through:
- Working with Access Panels
- Working with members
- Working with partners and stakeholders
Our principles help guide us in what we want to achieve. Our work is focused on our three principles:
- Positivity: Positive Approach. We are a solutions focused organisation. We want to hear what is working well and what is not working to approach the issues in a positive way.
- Promotion: Promoting Equality. We are a proactive and media aware organisation. We look to promote good/best practice and achieve a greater awareness of disability equality and accessibility across Scotland.
- Partnership: Partnership-focused. We are a collaborative organisation. We work with partners across all sectors to achieve real measurable change across Scotland with regard to access and equality. We are committed to the disabled people’s motto of “nothing about us without us”.
Articles of Association
Strategic Plan 2020-2023
We are proud to launch a new three-year Strategic Plan for 2020-2023. As a membership-led organisation, the strategy is fully formed by the views and experiences of disabled people across Scotland.
At the heart of the strategy is a mission to give all disabled people in Scotland a voice with trust, care and empathy. We will use what we hear to advocate for and enable change to improve lives.
We will achieve this through our four key priority areas:
- Equality, Participation and Inclusion: Provide opportunities for disabled people to participate and meaningfully engage in national and local discussions, embedding Inclusive Communication in all methods of communications.
- Access Panel Network: The Access Panel Network are recognised and trained in accessibility legislation, equality and disability awareness allowing them to address inequalities and inaccessibility in local communities across Scotland.
- Membership: Provide a valued membership that disabled people are proud to be part of. We become the ‘go to’ organisation for disabled people to share experiences, helping change policies and law.
- Accessible Transport: Opportunities for increased engagement between disabled people and transport providers, including Transport Scotland’s Accessibility Team, the Mobility and Access Committee for Scotland and Community Transport.
Download our Strategic Plan 2020-2023 in the following formats:
Annual Report and Accounts
Our Annual Report and Accounts details some of the activities undertaken by Disability Equality Scotland.
- Draft Disability Equality Scotland Annual Report and Full Accounts 2019-2020
- Signed Disability Equality Scotland Annual Report and Full Accounts 2018-2019
- Disability Equality Scotland Annual Report and Presentation Accounts 2018 – 2019
Annual General Meeting 2020
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this year’s AGM was conducted virtually on Tuesday 25 August 2020.
Download the AGM minutes in the following formats. Please contact us if you require an alternative format.
- AGM Minute 25 August 2020 FINAL – Word
- AGM Minute 25 August 2020 FINAL – PDF
- AGM Minute 25 August 2020 FINAL – Plain Text
AGM 2020 Video Recording:
AGM Minutes Archive
- AGM 2019 Minute DRAFT Final – PDF
- AGM 2018 Minute Final – PDF
- AGM 2018 Minute Final (Easy Read) – PDF
Extraordinary General Meeting Minutes
Board of Trustees’ Meeting Minutes
- 29 January 2020 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 29 January 2020 Minute Final and Approved (Easy Read) – PDF
- 29 October 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 29 October 2019 Minute Final and Approved (Easy Read) – PDF
- 30 July 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 30 April 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 30 April 2019 Minute Final and Approved (Easy Read) – PDF
- 23 January 2019 Minute Final and Approved – PDF
- 18 January 2018 Minute Final and Approved 18 April 2018 – PDF
- 18 April 2018 Board Minute Final and Approved 18 July 2018 – PDF
- 18 July 2018 Board Minute Final and Approved 17 October 2018 – PDF